A Travellerspoint blog

Day 11, 12, 13 & 14

Koroit to Portland, Mt Gambier, Beachport, Robe, Kingston SE, Victor harbour

overcast 25 °C

Day 11
Friday 24th March
We left Koroit at 8.30 this morning and drove to Portland where we had morning tea. They export a lot of wood chips from here - we don't know where they are going. There is a nice little marina here as well as a striking looking college.2017_Mar_2..ader__Copy_.jpg2017_Mar_2..rina__Copy_.jpg2017_Mar_2..lege__Copy_.jpg
We then drove on across the State border into South Australia and after an unsuccessful attempt to book into the Show Grounds at Mount Gambier, (the place was packed); we did the next best thing and booked into a caravan park for 2 nights.
We went and visited son Rodney's mother in law (Barbara) who has recently moved here from N.SW and spent an hour or so with her.
The rest of the group did the touristy things and visited the Information centre and the Blue Lake etc.

Day 12
Saturday 25th March
This morning Hiroe and I went to do the tourist attractions that the other members of our group did yesterday. They have gone out to Port MacDonnell.
Our first stop was at the Blue Lake - it is very attractive.
We then went to the Information Centre and obtained a map of Mt Gambier and some other info.
next stop was at Umpherston Sinkhole which has been turned into a garden.
The Umpherston Sinkhole (or the Sunken Garden) is one of the most spectacular gardens located in the Mount Gambier region.

Umpherston sinkhole was once a typical limestone cave that formed by the corrosion of limestone rocks by seawater waves and the sinkhole was naturally created when the chamber’s roof collapsed.
We then drove out to Port MacDonnell and had lunch (Fish & Chips) out on the breakwater. The clouds have rolled in and it is completely overcast now and cool.
Back into town where we did some mandatory food shopping then back to the van.

Day 13
Sunday 26th March
Departed Mt Gambier just after 8.30. The town was VERY quiet and we had no trouble driving through town and onto the highway. Ron was leading today and he did a good job.
First stop was at the small town of Beachport where we all had morning tea. There are some lovely old building here including an extremely small church and an old Customs Office which closed in 1900.
The jetty here goes out quite a way as well.
We drove on till we reached the town of Robe where we drove down the main street and parked down near the beach. I took a photo of the old Customs House here and the statue of the English Explorer Matthew Flinders and the Frenchman Nicolas Baudin. They had unexpectedly met here in 1802.
After our brief stop it was onwards again to Kingston SE where we have camped for the night in the free RV Campsite right next to the beach and on the edge of town. It is a nice grassy and clean campsite.

Day 14
Monday 27th March
It was VERY windy last night, John and Wendy had to get up during the night and slide in their slide-out bedroom as the flap at the top was driving them mad with the wind.
The sky was lovely colours this morning._DSC1167__Copy_.jpg_DSC1166__Copy_.jpg
First stop was at Willabooka for morning tea then on to Keith then Just before Tailem Bend we turned west to Wellington when we had to line up to catch a ferry across the Murray River. This ferry crossing was the first constructed across this river. Our vans are way back in the line.
After crossing we continued on to Victor Harbour where will stay for 2 nights.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 00:59 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Days 7 - 8 - 9 & 10

Killarney to Koroit,

sunny 24 °C

Day 7
We departed Princetown Recreation Reserve just on 9.00 and drove back down the road to Peterborough where we had been yesterday. We continued on to Warnambool - straight through and on to Killarney where we booked into a beach camp for the night. It wasn't a very long drive today - just over 100 kms.
After setting up doing a load of washing and having lunch, Hiroe and I went back up the road a bit to a supermarket and a chemist as my infected ear still hasn't cleared up completely so needed some more antibiotics.
It's beginning to look like it might rain soon and we are moving in the morning to Koroit for maybe 3 nights as our travelling mates don't particularly like this camp here at Killarney.

Day 8
Tuesday 21st March
We left Killarney just on 9.00 and drove 20 km to tonights camp at Koroit. This campsite is the same price as last nights but it is a lot cleaner and has grass sites rather then dirt.
after setting up we drove to Port Fairy for a look around then back to Warrnambool where we intended to have a look around the shopping precinct however it is raining so hard and it is cold we decided to return to the vans for lunch.
Nothing much happened today except we had a brief discussion during Happy Hour about what we might do tomorrow and how long we would stay here. We will have to wait and see what the weather does.

Day 9
Wednesday 22nd March
It's not raining today however it is still very overcast. Bob went to see a doctor this morning with his infected ear and obtained a prescription for some drops.
We all went back into Warrnambool and had a look at the waterfront. The wind is blowing and its quite cold.
Took a photo of a small island just off the coast. I looks quite nice.
We decided that its far too cold to be out so we drove back to Koroit where we bought pies for lunch and ate them in the bakery after which we returned to the vans and all did our own thing for the rest of the day.

Day 10
Thursday 23rd Mar
Today is son Rodney's 51st birthday (he is now middle aged)
We drove into Warrnambool this morning and spent quite a few hours at Flagstaff Hill Maritime museum precinct. Some lovely old buildings here as well as new modern gift shop etc. We had a look at The life-size Minton porcelain artwork statue of a peacock which was recovered after the ship sunk off the coast . The statue was shipped to Australia in the Loch Ard from England in 1878, destined for the official opening of the Melbourne exhibition building. But it only made it as far as the rugged coastline near Port Campbell when the ship was wrecked in one of Australia's worst maritime tragedies.
We had a walk around the site looking at the old garrison where the gun emplacement which was constructed when it was thought that the Russians might try to take Australia.
Took a photo of the group down amongst some of the historic buildings.
We had morning tea here (Tea/Coffee and scones jam and cream) well it was lunchtime really.
Did a little shopping then returned to the vans for showers and happy hour.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 21:38 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Days 5,6

Geelong to Lavers Hill, Princetown

sunny 28 °C

Sat Mar 18
We left Geelong this morning with me leading for a change from being Tail End Charlie. I didn't volunteer, Peter says it's your turn so that's what happened.
The traffic was quite bad and there were hundreds of bicycles on the road as there was a 240 km race on today.
We stopped for morning tea on the side of the road near Louitt Bay. There were many interesting houses on the hillsides around this area so took a photo of one in particular - locals say that this is only their family room - the rest of the house is connected via the walkway.
We then continued on to Apollo Bay through Lorne. It may have been wonderful viewing for the passengers in the cars but for the drivers it required total concentration as the road is VERY windy.
We found an off street parking for the 4 vans at Apollo Bay and had a walk around and lunch before heading up the mount to Lavers Hill for the night. We did intend staying here for 2 nights but have changed our plans and will head back down the other side of the mount to Princetown for tomorrow night stay.
Olwyn has trouble remembering what the code is to get into the toilet block.

Sun Mar 19
We left Lavers Hill and drove a long way (40kms) to our stop for the night at Princetown Recreation Reserve.
After booking in and setting up we got in the cars (Peter and Olwyn with us and Ron and Dot with John and Wendy) and drove along the Great Ocean Road looking at all of the wonderful viewing points along the way.
The first stop was at Gibsons Steps which are 83 steps down onto the beach near the first of the 12 Apostles.
Next stop was at The 12 Apostles - well - there are only 8 left now, the other 4 have collapsed into the sea. The area is teaming with tourists. Not joking - thousands of them.

Onwards then to look at The Loch Ard Gorge. This is the area where a ships apprentice (Tom Pearce) and an 18 year old girl (Eva Carmicheal) off the Loch Ard which had hit some rocks off the coast had sunk killing 52 people, swam ashore and were eventually rescued.
On again through Port Campbell to look at "The Arch".
Then to London Bridge. The main connection from the land to the bridge was still there when we visited in 1974 but in 1990 it to collapsed into the water.
We then drove on the short distance to look at the village of Peterborough then returned to the caravans for Happy Hour after a great day out.
Tomorrow will will drive to Warrnambool where we will stay for 3 nights.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 02:31 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

At Seymour and Geelong

Days 2, 3 and 4

sunny 25 °C

We departed Jugiong reasonably late and drove to Holbrook for morning tea. Since we were on the road a bit late we had a late refreshment.
Took a photo of the group in front of the HMAS OXLEY Submarine which is several hundred kilometres inland here.
Bob has an ear infection so paid a visit to the chemist to obtain some antibiotics which should fix it up.
We drove on through Albury and into the State of Victoria and had lunch in a rest stop on the way.
Peter had selected a rest stop for tonight near Seymour and it turned out to be a good one. Well off the highway with grass and shade.
Tomorrow the other vans will head down to Geelong and we will be staying overnight in Craigieburn to have a new weights label afixed to our van. We will catch then up late Friday.

See the itinerary of this trip, and details about each destination.

Well, We left to go to Craigieburn expecting to have to wait until Friday to have a new weight label fixed to the caravan but after phoning Regal Caravans they said it could be done this morning so we hurried down the highway and in no time at all they had the job campleted. Wonderful service.
We then drove down to Geelong and arrived at the caravan park just as our mates were backing into their sites.
We purchased a new GPS Navigator as our old Tom Tom has been playing up lately - spending more time looking for valid satelites instead of actually navigating for us. Quite inconvenient.

Friday Mar 17th
We spent the day travelling down part of The Great Ocean Road as far as Lorne. Peter and Olwyn took us in their car.
We stopped at Torquay where we had morning tea and a bit of a walk to the inlet. Took a photo of Hiroe and Olwyn there.
The rocks at the entrance to the inlet looked very good.
On then to Bells Beach for a quick look then continued to Anglesea to visit the Info centre to obtain information on The Great Ocean Road and where to get fish and chips for lunch. The guy there told us to go on to Lorne so that's what we did.
By now it was after 1.00 pm so we turned around to drive back to Geelong and called into Aireys Inlet to have a look at the lighthouse and views from here.
Thats about it for the day.
We leave here tomorrow morning heading to Lavers Hill.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 23:12 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Murray River Run and Stone The Crows

Day 1 to Jugiong

sunny 25 °C

This is going to be a reasonably short trip (about 5 weeks) and day 1 is a repeat of many trips we have done before.
We left home really early (7.30am) and on the way to meet up with our travelling mates we called into a weigh station to check the weighs of our tow vehicle and caravan. All well.
We stopped for morning tea at the usual place near Oallen Ford the carried on through Golbourn and Yas where we had lunch and refuelled then on to tonights rest area stop at Jugiong.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 21:35 Archived in Australia Comments (1)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 10) « Page 1 [2]