A Travellerspoint blog

At Stone the Crows - Wagga Wagga

Day 29, 30,

sunny 27 °C

Lockhart to Wagga Wagga for "Stone The Crows Festival"
Day 29
Tuesday April 11
We left Lockhart at 8-40 and drove to Wagga Wagga arriving there just before 10.00 am. It took a while to be directed to our campsite amongst to other 490 caravans and motor homes.
After the initial setting up we went to the Crows Central to Register, pick up our information pack and also register for the games over the next week.
We talked George Mitchell into joining our team for all three games:- Petanque, Disc Bowls and Ladder Golf.
We went to a caravan spares shop not too far from the campground and I purchased some new chocks for the wheels which brings me to an incident which happened upon leaving Lockhart. We had put plastic chocks under our wheels and I failed to remove them prior to moving the van. Consequently when the van ran over one it was smashed. John says I have to mention it because everything else that has happened on the trip has been his problem.
Back to The Stone The Crows.-
We caught up with other members of our caravan club at Stone The Crows (STC); Pieter and Robin Van Dyk Glenn and Yvonne Watson and Tom and Kath McManus.
Hiroe went to the toilet in the dark and I was a bit concerned that she hadn't reappeared for quite a while = I thought she might be doing a Wendy, however just as I was going to organise a search party she came back.
We all attended tonights show in the Central Marquee (With 990 other folk). It was a great performance by ventriloquist; Darren Carr who kept us entertained for 105 minutes.

Ventriloquist Comedian Darren Carr

At the tender age of eight, Darren Carr started playing with dolls and talking to himself. Much to his parents' relief, these peculiar traits were not the result of " too much chlorine in the gene pool ", but his interest in the art of ventriloquism.

Nowadays, Darren is now recognized as "Australia 's Leading Ventriloquist" performing with his pint-sized look-alike partner, "Darrell", and a cast of hilarious characters, in a comedy filled show which has to be seen to be believed.

Day 30
Wednesday April 12
We slept in a little bit this morning after last nights wonderful show.
One of our gas bottles has run out so this morning we made a quick trip just down the road and had it refillied.
Linda has had a bad night - something she ate didn't agree with her so she stayed in bed most of the day.
I started work on assembling the bird feeder I purchased in the Daddy Day Care Centre. I will finish it when I get home as completed it is quite large.
George took us into Wagga Wagga City to do a little shopping before returning to the vans for afternoon tea.
Tonights show in the Marquee was a concert by Mike Mclennan on guitar and singing. He wasn't quite as entertaining as Darren carr.

Day 31
Thursday April 13
This morning we all went to a concert by Marcus Holden who is a violinist as well as a guitarist and banjo player. He was extremely entertaing as he has many styles including Bluegrass, Irish, Folk, and classical.
We then played in the Social Disc Bowls competition - our team included George, Hiroe and Me. We lost during the first round which must have been a mistake by the scorer, haha.
In the afternoon we filled the caravan water tanks then went to town to refuel the car and do a little grocery shopping.
We attended the evening entertainment in the marquee tonight.
What a wonderful show which began with performances by the Wagga City Rugby Male Choir. They brought the house (marquee) down to standing ovations and many encores such that the programme for the night eventually ran 45 minutes over time but who cared. Have a look at:- http://www.wcrmc.com.au/
Other wonderful acts were performed by Marcus Holden:- http://www.fiddlersfestival.com/marcusholden/
Jackie Kerin:- http://www.jackiekerin.com.au/
Sarah Depasquale:- http://www.stonethecrows.com.au/2017/crow-chronicle-5.17.html
Greg North :- http://www.gregorynorth.com.au/Listen.html
Greg was absolutely amazing and had us all in stitches.
Rob Nichols and Jim Haynes and others. What a night.

Day 32
Friday April 14
Today was Ladder Golf day and George, Hiroe and I were one of 70 teams in the knockout tournament.
We went right through to the Grand Final and would you believe - we won. Some of the games we only just one when Hiroe pulled us through.
We had some wonderful support from other members of our club during the semi finals and grand final. Thanks guys.
Here is a short video which includes Glen and pommy Bob playing Ladder Golf

In the afternoon we went to a presentation by Rod Hannifey on sharing the rod with trucks. We have seen and heard him before and it's excellent.
Took a photo of Hiroe and George with Rods truck
In the evening entertainment this night we were presented with our trophys.


Day 33
Saturday April 15
This morning George, Pommy Bob & Linda and Hiroe and I caught the almost free bus from Stone The Crows into central Wagga Wagga. We did a little shopping and had lunch in a Mall then returned to the vans. I the evening there was a performance by a female singer (Lisa Crouch) who some liked and others not so. And that's about it for the day apart from Glen and Yvonne going to Narander to see one of Yvonne's friends and the door handle breaking on our caravan which required some temporary re-modelling.

Day 34
Sunday April 16
This morning after morning tea Glen & Yvonne with Tom and Cath in their car and us in ours, drove to Junee. This is an old Railway Town and even though the population is quite small, the Railway Station is fairly substantial.
There are a few really big buildings in town not least of which is a Hotel built in 1897.
We all went to the chocolate and licorice factory where Glen found some old cars which he just had to inspect.
We then took a back road to return to Wagga Wagga via the village of Wantabadgery and Oula. At Wantabadgery there is a horse and rider statue of a Policeman (Edward Mostyn Webb-Bowen) who was shot by bushrangers in 1879.2017_April..gery__Copy_.jpg92D8C7A4F1E8CE152B7D784D5451A39B.jpg
We finally arrived back in Wagga Wagga for a late lunch then back to the van.
This evenings entertainment was provided by members of the Stone The Crows participants in the form of a Talent Quest. The show started with a performance by the Choir which had just 5 hours together to practice their 3 songs and one of the members of the Choir was a member of our club; Chris Meridith.
Pommy Bob entered the competition in the Ukulele and Instrumental section and was at the end of the show awarded 1st prize. Well Done Mate.
We were going to celebrate with George Bob and Linda however Pommy and Bob had other ideas and went into their van so George and us have a few ports together before going to be after another good day.
John and Wendy Peter and Olwyn together with Ron and Dot are leaving us today to head home.
Day 35
Monday April 17
We all had a go at Stoning The Crows. Chris was the best of our lot but even so she was eliminated eventually.
We have all packed up all the outside gear ready for an early start tomorrow morning.
The entertainment tonight was provide4d by Jamie Way as P-Elvis and we all enjoyed it very much
George, Glen & Yvonne, Doug & Chris, Tome & Kath are all heading to the Snowy area with Pieter & Robin for about 10 days.

Day 36
Tuesday April 18
This morning with Pommy Bob we left for home at 7.15. An early start for us.
We had morning tea at The Dog on The Tucker Box. While we were there an interesting old Ford car with a home made little caravan attached.
We then drove on to Bungendore for lunch.
Continuing on we arrived just outside of Nerriga and the big climb soon after the town. Pommy Bobs cars transmission overheated and he lost all power. A truck and other vehicles had to go past us on the wrong side of the road. It was while we were waiting for things to cool down that I noticed that a rather large groove had been carved in one of the tyres on our caravan, On inspection we found that one of the bolts holding the spring to the hanger had come loose and was sticking out about 10cm. We had to take the wheel off, then using 3 jacks try to line up holes with the bolt. We managed to get the bolt tightened about half way and hope that it held till be got home.
Another exciting end to a trip.
We arrived home at about 4.00 pm and unpacked the van.
A good 5 weeks away - The garden has overgrown but wont take too long to get it back in order.

Posted by Bobnhiroe 00:02 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint